ICESI/LEVEL V/MODULE 1 PREDICTING FUTURE FAMILIES
ÁreaLengua Extranjera - Inglés
Students read predictions about what families will be like in the future and summarise the information they have read. It is a group activity to allow collaborative learning and the negotiation of meaning and sense in the target language. Furthermore, the configuration of the activity will allow students to confront and experiment with reading strategies. The final product is a list of 8 sentences that summarise 8 different pieces of information which discuss the concept of families in the future. The use of the future tense is the focus of attention in these sentences.
Overall objective of module: Dados textos expositivos relacionados con personajes destacados, evaluar la calidad informativa y las cualidades de los personajes presentados en los textos.
Specific objectives for this task:
1) Students will read predictions about families in the future and negotiate sense and meaning (orally) with others about the content of the reading.
2) Students will summarise information they have read.
3) Students will explore three reading strategies: reading images, understanding meaning from context and summarising information.
4) Students will be exposed to different forms of expressing the future.
Sesión 1: 1 Session of two hours
1) A basic undertanding of how to use will and be going to to express ideas about the future.
2) Previous sessions which have contextualised discussions about identity and family.
Actividades de Clase
Formative assessment - students submit their summary sentences after having made necessary modifications based on the explanation in class. Teacher assesses the use of future in the sentences and provides feedback. Grade is based on completion of exercise rather than correct/incorrect use of the grammar.
Optional assessment - teacher can additionally focus assessment on how students managed to summarise the information in the texts regardless of their use of grammar. This aspect of assessment would focus more on their ability to summarise.
The student production can be graded as classwork/homework.